PBW specializes in the design and construction of power substations, underground and aerial distribution systems. We have over thirty years of hands on experience in all aspects of high voltage systems – from concept through to completion. PBW has a proven track-record of delivering well-planned, well-constructed high voltage facilities.
Our core business is the supply, construction and installation of high voltage substations and distribution systems.
These systems supply our customers with the required utilization voltages for their operations – stepped-down from the local utility’s distribution voltage.
In Ontario the typical distribution voltages are:
- 13,800 volts (Toronto, Kitchener, Hamilton cores, etc.)
- 27,600 volts (Toronto, outside of the old City of Toronto, and much of South Western Ontario.)
- 44,000 volts (Eastern Ontario, Ontario North of the GTA and some of the western GTA)
Load requirements, customer utilization characteristics, and occasionally the voltage determine the characteristics and construction of the required substation.
In today’s “High Powered” world, the nature and variety of machinery installed in a factory can profoundly impact the type of transformer installed. Variable speed drives, robotics, spot welding equipment, plastic extrusion/ injection molding machinery – to name a few – are some of the applications where a specifically designed substation transformer should be applicable.
We believe that the substation can be the single most important piece of equipment in any production or manufacturing facility, and should be given more than cursory scrutiny when designing, purchasing, and installing the system.
Our continued expansion throughout the province and beyond keeps us current and on the leading edge with the latest changes in regulations, power distribution company requirements, and emerging industry standards.
This experience, as well as the day-to-day contact with policy personnel, management and field installation crews enables us to accurately predict installation costs at the initial design stage of a project. We don’t like surprises either.
As a direct result of our involvement in a broad area of work we are constantly incorporating new and innovative products and techniques – especially in the low voltage (600 volt) distribution field – giving our clients the latest technology and the know-how to get it operational.
24-Hour Emergency Services
We’ve got all the pieces in place and with the prompt service and extensive expertise you’ve grown to expect from PBW, it’s a natural progression.
All you have to do is call our main line and follow the instructions. We’ll be on the way to bring you back to full swing! Call one of our staff (during the day) for more details.
Temporary and Construction Power Solutions
PBW has a large inventory of well-maintained electrical equipment ready for deployment that are designed to provide exactly what you need to supply construction or temporary power and lighting solutions for your site. PBW is fully licensed and a member of the Electrical Contractors Association and the International Brotherhood of Electrical Worker Union. PBW has the expertise, internal engineering and electrical contracting personnel to design and install systems that best suit our client’s requirements.
Engineering and Design/Build
PBW has decades of experience specializing in the medium and high voltage contracting industry with both out-door and indoor unit substations up to 44kV. PBW considers all phases of development for your project, from initial site review and equipment selection through construction, substation start-up and commissioning, and beyond with maintenance programs. Contact PBW today to see how we can help you;
- Design incoming pole lines and underground duct banks
- Develop reliable substation designs
- Control substation project costs
- Develop unique designs catered specifically to your needs
- Keep your project on schedule
- Our engineers keep current with the governing authorities’ regulations so there are no surprises during the construction process
The creation of this division was a natural expansion of our high voltage site servicing operations. PBW offers its clients the design, supply and installation of primary and secondary concrete reinforced duct banks, frost free reinforced concrete switchgear and transformer foundations (pre-cast or custom), light bases, mechanical protection (Bollards, et.), et. This division has grown over the last 5 years to the point where it is an integral part of our overall operation.
PBW’s Technical Services Division compliments our Electrical and Civil divisions. We have expanded this important part of our business to provide a wide range of specialized services to fulfill our customer’s needs beyond the initial construction phase of their electrical system.
Our in-house Professional Electrical Engineers, Certified Electrical Technologists and Technicians, Electricians, and Power-line Technicians, have a strong and solid background in the complete design, installation, testing and commissioning of high voltage systems.
- Substation Inspection and Maintenance Services
- Transformer Pre-Service and Oil Analysis
- Power Quality Studies and Power Saving Solutions
- Remote Transformer monitoring
- Fuse Co-Ordination and Ground Fault studies
- Ground Grid Calculations and Design
- Substation Evaluation and Modernization
- Programmable Substation Access Monitoring
- Temporary Construction Power
- 24-hour Emergency Services
- High Voltage Cable Testing
We can assist you in assessing your needs and compiling a risk analysis of your electrical system and its continuing efficient operation.
Equipment and Material In Stock
PBW stocks a wide variety of new and used electrical equipment.
- Transformers – Transformers fail often, and getting the exact size needed could take weeks. PBW keeps a wide variety of types and sizes in stock, thus being able to get our clients back up and running with minimal down time when a transformer fails.
- Load break switches (Pole and structure mount)
- Breakers – Everything from the big 4000 amp Westinghouse SPB100, to a wide variety of smaller molded case breakers
- Cable – We stock everything from overhead triplex, to underground, to teck cable.
- All types and sizes of fuses, load break elbows, terminations, lightning arrestors, insulators, et.
Just give us a call, send us an email or come by. We would be glad to walk you through our warehouse and show you all that we carry!